Saturday, February 23, 2008

Intelligent Design

When I first heard the term intelligent design, I thought it referred to some new Sony robot toy. Instead I found that it's an updated term for 'creationism'. There have been heated debates particularly in the political arena on this subject. The main issue being, whether or not it should be taught in school as part of a science curriculum. As a recall, I was taught that people believed in creationism prior to Darwin, and I was also taught about Lamarckism. It is fine to teach the fact that people have different believes when it comes to evolution, but don't teach it as a science. Fundamentally, they cannot be compared.

I have also read that creationists have launched their own 'peer-reviewed' scientific research journal, Answers Research Journal. The website looks great, possibly intentionally reminiscent of Nature and articles include, 'Microbes and the days of creation' and 'Catastrophic granite formation'. Again, I don't understand the need to present beliefs and religious views as scientific fact. It is completely illogical to put them in two columns for comparison, let alone for competition.

No comments: